21st to 23rd of May 2024
24th, 25th & 26th
MAY 2022


Vigo shipyards cover 40% of the national naval activity

Armón, Freire and Nodosa breathe new life into the sector with new ship, fishing and oceanographic constructions

The naval sector sees some light with a timid advance in the workload. Four new contracts in the first half of the year were won by Armón and Freire, in Vigo, and Nodosa in Marín, the three shipyards that are pulling the sector at the moment. The order book at the end of June of the Galician private shipyards - concentrated in the Vigo-Marín axis - is made up of 15 contracts, according to the data of the General Secretariat of Industry and SMEs, although in practice there would be 13 since the report includes two from Barreras that are not providing work in Vigo: the cruise ship 'Evrima' and another sister ship that is not going to be built. Galicia counts in the first six months of the year just over 135,200 CGT, an indicator that computes all the activity from launchings, keel laying to ship deliveries. The level is low, the worst in recent years, although it represents 40% of the national total, while the Basque Country and Asturias share the remaining 60%.

Freire captains with the highest volume of work: four contracts, including an oceanographic contract for Belgium and another for a private research centre in California. The company recently delivered a fishing vessel for Calvo and is working on maintenance work on the luxury mega yacht 'Azzam'.

Armón has three contracts in force, two fishing vessels for Iceland and Argentina and an oceanographic vessel for the Marine Institute of Ireland.

Nodosa, with installations in Marín, has two constructions for Greenland and a dredger for the Galician company Canlemar. The Vigo shipyard Cardama has another three, all international contracts for Angola, Denmark and Senegal. Metalships does not have any vessels under construction and its activity is now focused on dry-docking, outfitting and fitting-out works.

Source: Atlántico Diario

Stay informed regularly, you can receive our newsletter on your email.

Newsletter Suscription

Navalia's newsletter

I agree with the Terms and Conditions
You can cancel this subscription at any time.

Proyecto cofinanciado por el Igape, la Xunta de Galicia y el Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional del programa operativo 2014-2020.

Programa Galicia Exporta

Copyright © Navalia - Exhibition organized by lgt muestralo 300x100